Monday, November 25, 2013

Possession by JR Ward

When Cait Douglass resolves to get over her broken heart, throw off her inhibitions, and start really living, she’s unprepared for the two sensual men who cross her path. Torn between them, she doesn’t know which to choose--or what kind of dire consequences could follow. 

Jim Heron, fallen angel and reluctant savior, is ahead in the war, but he puts everything at risk when he seeks to make a deal with the devil--literally. As yet another soul is unwittingly caught in the battle between him and the demon Devina, his fixation on an innocent trapped in Hell threatens to sidetrack him from his sacred duty...

Can good still prevail if true love makes a savior weak? And will a woman’s future be the key, or the curse, for all of humanity? Only time, and hearts, will tell.


2.5 Star Rating
My Recommendation:  If you are already invested in the series, pick it up.  Not the best from JR Ward, but not a regrettable read.

This was my least favorite book in the series.  I found myself flipping through most of the paragraphs and pages - even some of the sex scenes!!  The writing, as always, is good and there were moments where I did get pulled into the storyline, but in comparison to the other books those moments were too far and between.  I'm addicted to this series and will continue to read.  I just hope the next book returns to the old formula or does even better!

Plot/Pace:  There were surprise moments that got my attention, a mysterious janitor - is it who I think it is???, and a good twist on the soul involved in the book. But those did not make up for the less than stellar delivery.  Plot of the book = very interesting; Execution = meh.  I did a lot of skipping with this book just to get to the good parts.


Imagery:  Is it just me or is the street slang getting over the top?  I'm so very glad it teetered off towards the middle of the book.  Yes, it gives the reader a good image of the hardness of the characters, but when I have to sit there for a minute and think, "Hmm...FFS...what could that mean in this sentence?"  it's a little much.  Action scenes are descriptive and easy to visualize.  I do wish the intensity of the climax, at the end of the book, would have been taken a little further.  I started to get goosebumps as soon as the violence started, but it was over too soon.

Romance and Sex:  JR Ward ALWAYS delivers good romance and good sex.  The only disappointment was the unrealistic nature of the attraction between the new characters.  Every time I see you I have to have you?  So much so that I will forgo food, decorum and safety?  Maybe once in a while, but EVERY TIME?  Nobody is that irresistible.  But even still, JR Ward writes new and exciting romantic situations with each book.  They are never the same and I never feel like, "BOOORING...didn't they do this in the last book?!"

Characters:  I tried to understand why Jim's character is becoming a selfish, not thinking before doing idiot, but I just can't.  I don't like how his character "devolved" in this book.  Maybe it's to show his human-ness and the fact that he isn't all-angel material, so he thinks about himself for once...maybe.  I did like how Devina was portrayed.  Still evil, yet more vulnerable in this book.  The Jim-Sissy relationship remains open to interpretation, which is exciting.  Not too much too soon, keeps the reader guessing at where it will go.

What Irked the Shiznit Out of Me:  All of Jim's decisions in this book!  Ughhh..the ending..really.  Was that the only way out of the situation.

What Blew Me Away:  NIGEL!! NOOOOOO!!!!!

If you like this book, what else might you like???



No comments:

Post a Comment